Alexander's surgery went smoothly and without-a-hitch! We can't express how grateful we have been for the prayers and support offered by so many!!
The doctors, nurses, receptionists, and basically everyone we met -- they were all so patient, supportive, sympathetic, gentle to Alex, and all-around-amazing. (I even got an phone call from Alex's nurse midway through the surgery -- she was just calling to say Alex was doing great! How thoughtful is that?!)
Here's our little man chillin' on Dad's lap in the waiting room. Up until the moment he had to dash off to work, Dad successfully worked his magic and kept a very-hungry Alex smiling, laughing, and distracted. In fact, I think Alex was kinda having
fun!
After Dad left, I coaxed this smile out of Alex. But mostly by this point he was trying -- with quiet determination -- to communicate the vast emptiness of his tummy. (Most of the pictures from this part of the morning feature a wide-mouthed Alexander looking for all the world like a patient baby bird...) Poor guy -- he'd already skipped two major meals and at least one snack...
Alex's hunger was all but forgotten as his nurse arrived with a teeny-tiny hospital bed, sat him down amid the soft blankets, and began rolling him through the long hallway towards surgery. I worried for a moment if Alexander would cry; but instead he seemed to think the hustle and bustle around him was provided just for his amusement. In fact, he looked so much like a good-natured little king smiling appreciatively from a comfy, over-sized throne... that I think I might have laughed if I hadn't been crying so hard.
Surgery over, Alex was sleeping peacefully when I arrived in the recovery room. As you can see, he could hardly have been more comfortable if he'd been in his own bed at home!
Not quite bright-eyed and bushy-tailed
just yet!
But Alexander bounched back to his usual smiling self before too long, and by mid-afternoon I even found him playing a sort of one-man tummy-hockey with his toys... so I think he's feeling pretty fine!! Thanks be to God!
2 comments:
Wow - wonderful! Isn't it so hard to watch your child go through something like that? I would have been bawling, too! So glad all went well. Praise God!
Thanks, Drina! We feel SO BLESSED!
Post a Comment