Amid all the flurry of getting ready for our wedding -- and, now, getting ready for my brother's visit from Italy in just two weeks -- I'm delighted to have the Catholic season of Advent beginning today. The four weeks of Advent are traditionally a time for re-reading the Old Testament prophecies that speak of the Chosen People's longing for a Savior. The idea seems to be that reading these passages will renew one's own longing for Christ and prepare for a more joy-filled Christmas. Advent may also be a time for re-simplifying one's life, for added prayer, or even -- in some parts of eastern Europe -- for fasting. Growing up, I'd always loved the various customs that we incorporated into the Advent season -- such as reading small Bible passages every night, or adding little lambs and cows each week to the still-empty creche. By far, however, my most favorite customs have always been the Advent wreath and the Advent bells. ...And that's why I was so surprised today, when Eric asked me for the meaning behind the Advent wreath... and I suddenly realized that I hardly knew!
So, after a little bit of research, I discovered these few things ~
1) the tradition of lighting Advent candles comes from Sweden (and, interestingly, Sweden is one of the nations that experiences the most over-all darkness during the winter months)
2) the light of the Advent candles -- which gets brighter as a new candle is lit each week -- represents the fact that Christ, our Light, is coming closer and closer.
3) And, lastly, the greenery of the Advent wreath represents hope (because for some reason the color green is supposed to be a hopeful color)
I found all this fascinating -- particularly the part about the brighter and brighter light representing Christ getting closer and closer to Bethlehem. It seems to be a little reminder that Christ is *already* on earth -- he just hasn't been born yet. What a timely message for a world that's forgotten (or ignored) the unborn child in so many instances... And then I saw this little poem:
How dark outside!
But see -- a star's in the sky;
Mary and Joseph and the unborn Jesus
Are passing by.
So let's light a candle to welcome them
As they go on their way to Bethlehem.
Amen.
3 comments:
Thanks for this post, Jen. I really enjoyed it!
I will always remember your bells that you wore at school during Advent! What a beautiful season, especially as you are waiting not only for Christmas, but for your wedding as well!
Thanks, Drina! And if you check out this book, you'll find even more beautiful Advent customs and prayers:
http://www.amazon.com/Donkey-Bells-Catherine-Hueck-Doherty/dp/0921440383/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228326151&sr=1-1
Post a Comment