Thursday, July 23, 2009

A place to read

The public library in our little town doesn't look like much from the outside. In fact, it's really nothing more than a couple of houses tucked behind the courthouse. But this morning I strolled inside for a look around, and I couldn't have been more delighted!

The house-like structure of the homes was carefully preserved when the library moved in, and each room had it own unique charms. One contained bright paintings of scenes from the wild west, and books about Texas history. Another had a small wooden table tucked away by a window -- the perfect place to curl up with a book. A third even had a fireplace! One of my favorite rooms to visit was the children's library -- which offered not only books but also a long, low table where half a dozen toddlers were doodling on colorful paper. Best of all, the children's library faced an outdoor garden, full of flowers and wrought-iron chairs shaded by trellised wisteria vines.

I've seen larger libraries by far; but I've never seen a library so tastefully designed... or so bewitchingly capable of making one want to read. You may be sure I'll be back many times!

2 comments:

K Schaaf said...

I'm so glad you enjoy libraries, Jen. Yours sounds extraordinary! To my way of thinking there are few places one can go to help fuel their desire for knowledge, spark their imagination, or ignite their sense of wonder at the world around them - and all at the same time. (In no person is that more easily recognized than in a preschooler talking their way through a picture book.) One of the best things about a library, though, is getting to take stuff home. And, unless you're like me and forget to renew or return, it doesn't cost a thing!

Jen and Eric said...

I agree, Kathleen -- a library like this one is a rare treat! Unfortunately, I'm going to have to get used to brining the books home & not relying on the library to be that special spot that encourages reading. You see, I just learned that the library will soon be torn down in favor of a new and larger building. I'm sure the new place will house many more books... but I can't imagine they'll be able to make is half so enchanting! Ah well... let's hope the cozy holt also becomes a charming place to read!!