Friday, December 5, 2008

Geese is the Reason for the Season!

There are days when I imagine I would rather have sixteen-hour shifts changing those light bulbs on the outside of skyscrapers, rather than spend another hour trying to help my kindergartners learn to read.  At least at the end of a light-bulb-changing-day I could gaze across the sparkling skyline and feel like I'd accomplished something.  But my little guys just don't seem to be progressing.   

For instance, my students typically get terribly confused when I explain that the letter "G" sometimes makes the same sound as the letter "J."  After hearing this, they usually decide to just skip the "G" all together when I ask them to tell me the sounds of the alphabet.  As a result, I've been giving some extra special lessons just about this letter to help clear away the confusion.  But, overall, I hadn't noticed much progress.  

Until today.  

"Look!  Look!" Exclaimed one little girl, pointing at a word typed on a small Montessori-style card.  "Today I am going to learn about Jesus!"  Surprised (because the school is not Christian-based), I glanced down at her lesson.  It began, G-E-E-S-E...  

At least they're getting the concept!

No comments: