Friday, February 24, 2012

Homemade Hummus

Lent is here again! But unlike last year, I promise not to let meatless pasta recipes hijack the blog. Still, I couldn't resist throwing in this healthy treat. Because "healthy" is the last thing you will think while eating it. It's delicious! And easy! Happy Lenten Friday.

Basic Hummus
1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
juice of 1 or 2 lemons
1/4 c. olive oil
2 cloves garlic (or to taste)
a sprinkle of red pepper
a sprinkle of black pepper
a sprinkle of salt

Combine all ingredients in the food processor and blend until smooth. Add more lemon, garlic, or spices to suit your taste.

Serve with pita bread, crackers, or eat it straight out of the bowl!

[As an aside, Br. Anthony recently traveled to the Holy Land... where he tells me everyone drinks lemonade with mint leaves floating in their drinks. Who knew?! I tried it, though, and I can speak for its wonderfulness... especially on a hot day like we're having this week in, uh, February. So, while you're enjoying your hummus, why not mix up a glass of mint lemonade? We may not be in the Holy Land for Lent, but we can eat like we're there...]

No comments: